Nicktoons MLB is a baseball game that was released for the Nintendo DS, Wii, Xbox 360, and Nintendo 3DS. The game was developed by High Voltage Software and published by 2K Play. It features characters from Nickelodeon shows including SpongeBob SquarePants, Invader Zim, Ren and Stimpy, Danny Phantom, Planet Sheen, Avatar: the Last Airbender, Fanboy and Chum Chum, T.U.F.F. Puppy, and two characters that only appear in the 3DS handheld, which is from The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius and a character from the Nickelodeon game Monkey Quest. In addition to Nickelodeon characters, the game also has baseball players from real Major League Baseball teams.
- Developer(s): High Voltage Software, Black Lantern Studios (DS and 3DS version)
- Publisher(s): 2K Play
- Distributor(s): Major League Baseball, Nickelodeon
- Platform(s): XBox360, Wii, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS
- Release date(s):
- Genre(s): Baseball game
- Mode(s): Single-player, Multiplayer
- ESRB: E
- ♦ — 3DS-Exclusive
|Perch Perkins||SpongeBob SquarePants||Matt Yang King|
|GIR||Invader Zim||Rosearik Rikki Simons|
- ♦ — 3DS-Exclusive
Nicktoons MLB has received mixed reviews. Operation Sports gave the game 4 out of 10, stating "As it is, you should only buy this for the Nickelodeon characters or if you are dying to play a Kinect baseball game. Otherwise, just treat yourself and your kids to The Bigs 2, a game with more polish and much more to do. Then, when you are done, watch SpongeBob." Official Xbox Magazine gave the game a score of 6.5 out of 10, saying "Nicktoons MLB is fun but frivolous, which should work just fine for kids and families. They also both praised and criticised the usage of Kinect, saying "having your arm angle determine the pitch type is downright genius — though sadly, occasional gaffes (such as seeing swings you didn’t take) muddle the execution."
However, there have been some positive reviews as well. 123Kinect said "If you are buying this for yourself and are older it’s probably around a 6/10, you will notice the flaws, which is why I rated it at 7, it’s one of those on the fence titles. It’s by far no means a real MLB title, however it’s a step in the right direction." Anime Courtyard also gave it a 7 out of 10, stating "At the end we can say that Nicktoons MLB is not spectacular but not a bad option if you want a baseball game without complications. For children, a good game if they like the Nicktoons. And of course for a grown up who wants a trip to memory lane with their favorite Nickelodeon characters." Nintendo World Report's review gave the game an 8 out of ten, concluding with "Nicktoons MLB is a simplified but very fun baseball game. Don’t let the kid-focused presentation scare you off; this game is worth a look from anyone in the mood for an arcade baseball game".
- This is the only video game to feature T.U.F.F. Puppy characters. All the others games that features T.U.F.F. Puppy characters are online games.
- There are references in the game with many episodes from each of the Nicktoons shows. One of which is Dudley frightfully asking "Was that thunder?" when hitting a turbo home run. This is a reference to his fear of thunder in the T.U.F.F. Puppy episode Thunder Dog.
- Keswick, The Chief, Verminious Snaptrap, and The Chameleon make cameos as cards that can be unlocked by completing certain requirements.
- When Kitty hits a turbo home run, she blows a kiss to the audience and waves.
- Dudley seems to not be in scale to Kitty. He appears to be taller than her, which contradicts his actual size in the show.
- Dudley Puppy is voiced by Jack DeSena in this game, instead of Jerry Trainor who voiced him in the TV series.
|NICKTOONS MLB E3 2011 Trailer||Nicktoons MLB launch trailer|
- ↑ http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/107/107286.html
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVxxutZ1wGY
- ↑ http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/38466/pr-final--nicktoons-mlb-video-game-roster-announced
- ↑ http://www.operationsports.com/reviews/620/nicktoons-mlb/
- ↑ "http://www.oxmonline.com/nicktoons-mlb-review
- ↑ http://123kinect.com/review/nicktoons-mlb/
- ↑ http://www.animecourtyard.com/blog/videogames/review-nicktoons-mlb-xbox-360/
- ↑ http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/28100